FOOD REFERENCES, TIPS & SKILLS: This page is where we have started to gather information to help us sustainably grow, gather, and preserve local food, in ways that help ourselves and our community to become more self-sufficient and resilient. See also the list of food growing classes on our home page.
INVITATION: If you have some useful food references or grow-it-yourself tips and skills to share on this website, we invite you to send them our way email or comments on posts.
CAUTION: You should triple-check anything you read on the internet or are told by someone, before trying it yourself. In other words, do your own follow-up research and be safe out there!
- COMPOSTING & Soil Building (Jan/15 classes from Compost Education Centre)
- Local Sustainable Food Growing NEW CLASSES (starting Nov/14)
- ORGANIC Food Growing – What’s Different & How to Succeed (class summary)
- Ten Best Garden CROPS for Beginners (Mother Earth News)
- What is Organic Gardening? (Organic Gardening Magazine)
- Sustainable Cooking RECIPES (from the Kikuchi Family and Kenta Farm)
- Top 20 HERBS to Wildcraft or Grow (June/14 class with Don Ollsin)
- Creating a MUSHROOM Garden notes and photos (June/14 class with Don Ollsin)
- FRUIT TREE Growing Class (June/13)
- POULTRY Raising Class (on Jan/13, including chicken & turkey handouts)
- www.fvpfa.org (Fraser Valley Poultry Fanciers Association) for a lot of good info
- SEED SAVING Workshop (on Sept/12, including references)
- HAZELNUT Tree Planting Project (Feb/12)
- Let’s Grow More FOOD on Pender (Mar/11 educational event)
- more to come – we invite you to (email us with suggested resources!