for Food Producers and Island Sustainability!
1. INVITATION: Dear Pender, Galiano, Mayne and Saturna farmers, other producers, and islands folks, with a special invitation to the Coast Salish peoples whose traditional territories are the Southern Gulf Islands (SGI)…
2. FUNDING TO PLAN A CO-OP: The non-profit Heartwood Folk School has a Community Works grant, for collaborative planning of the best potential Gulf Islands co-op! This co-op could prioritize:
(A) the Southern Gulf Islands (SGI) Electoral Area, and beneficial co-operation with others;
(B) primary support for food producers, as in the new SGI Food & Agriculture Strategy; and
(C) some broader support for other producers and island sustainability, as in the SGI 2020 Strategic Plan.
3. PRESENTATIONS & DISCUSSIONS: how a CO-OP could meet food producer and other needs…
(B) Galiano South Hall: SUNDAY, October 29 (1:00 pm to 3:30 pm) – all welcome!
(C) Mayne and Saturna: You’re up next, then more meetings on each island, so check back here or…
4. SUPPORTIVE CO-OP ACTIONS: For Food Producers, this could include increased access to agricultural land, storage or equipment; advocacy; education; joint marketing; and online multi-vendor ecommerce (e.g. Ottawa Valley Food Co-op and Cowichan Valley Cow-op). Other island producers have similar needs that a co-op might serve, starting with the above Registry and Calendar for all SGI producers.
5. CONTACT: Food Producer Outreach: Colleen Doty at 250-539-2737; Project Coordinator: Zorah Staar (250-891-2424). Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, and to say how a Co-op could best help you!